Are you looking for a warm weather getaway? Perhaps a nice place to relax poolside, choose from a wide variety of cuisines, even a bit of shopping, in a bike-friendly and very walk-able community?
Throw in a dazzle of 1920’s vintage charm, and you have Coral Gables.
Located within the Miami-Dade county of Florida, and a short drive from the Miami International Airport (MIA), Coral Gables was the perfect relaxing weekend getaway.
Here are 8 great activities to enjoy in Coral Gables
- Ride a bike around the greenbelt and enjoy the beautiful shade trees throughout the community. Our hotel offered complementary bikes for guests. We rode down and around the entire area of town, taking in most of the sites below. The bikes allowed us to cover far more ground than we could comfortably walk in a single day.
- Visit the luxurious Biltmore Hotel, the very definition of old world glamour and elegance. While we were not fortunate enough to stay at the Biltmore overnight, we included a couple beverages at the Biltmore lounge on our bike tour. It is worth stopping into the lounge, indulge in a spa service, or take in a round of golf at this stunning National Historic Landmark.
- Cool off at the Venetian Pool, a fresh water oasis from the 1920’s complete with grotto and sizable waterfall. The perfect stop during a bike ride around the neighborhood. The admission fee is lower during off season, and according to the locals, far less crowded.
- Spa salons, nail salons, and barber shops are on every street in Coral Gables, as well as greater Miami is full of world famous spa facilities and budget friendly wellness treatments. After all that biking, we treated ourselves to a late afternoon pedicure!
- Wine and dine at the variety of restaurants and bar scene. Not just confined to the Miracle Mile section of Coral Gables, there are fantastic restaurants along Ponce de Leon, Coral Way, and each of the side streets surrounding Miracle Mile and beyond. Some of our favorite meals were at Giardino Gourmet Salads, Miss Saigon Vietnamese, La Casita cuban, Swine Southern cooking, and The Local craft food and drink.
- Ride the (Free) Trolley around the community, with extended hours on the first Friday of every month for Gallery Night of Art and dining.
- Enjoy live theater at the Actor’s Playhouse at Miracle Theatre, which is currently featuring one of my favorite children’s stories.
- Shopping opportunities abound with boutiques galore along Miracle Mile and the nearby Shops at Merrick Park. Budget, luxury, big box, boutique, and every shop variety in between is found within Coral Gables. We stocked up on a few necessities, and a couple more items that I did not realize that I needed (whoops).
- Merrick House is the 1920’s home of the Coral Gables master planner George Merrick. Tours are only offered twice a week, so this requires a bit of planning or perfect timing. We missed out, but it looks like a beautiful estate.
- Get Married or at least pick out the perfect Wedding Dress. Miracle mile has a dazzling display of bridal gowns in “Bridal Row”.
The perfect dress is waiting for you in one of these stores and the staircase at the Hotel Colonnade is the perfect photo op for the occasion.
Whatever activities you choose, Coral Gables is a delightful location to recharge and relax in a charming community of Great Gatsby era luxury.